North Africa may emerge as new ‘theatre of jihad’
London: North Africa could emerge as a new "theatre of jihad" with the handful of remaining top al Qaeda leaders shifting base from Pakistan and Afghanistan to countries like Libya, top British officials have warned.
"At least two relatively senior al Qaeda figures have already made their way to Libya , with others intercepted en route, raising fears that north Africa could become a new `theatre of jihad` in coming months," a newspaper quoted officials as saying.
"A group of very experienced figures from north Africa left camps in Afghanistan`s (north-eastern ) Kunar province where they have been based for several years and travelled back across the Middle East," one source said. "Some got stopped but a few got through."
The move to shift the base to Africa came after killing of senior al Qaeda members in an intense campaign of air strikes involving missiles launched from unmanned drones in Pakistan and Afghanistan , an official said.
After Osama`s killing in May in Pakistan`s Abbottabad , many other high ranking leaders of the group have also been killed. The paper said that British officials believe that a "last push" in 2012 is likely to definitively destroy Qaeda`s remaining "handful of the key players".
"It is unclear whether the moves from west Asia to north Africa are prompted by a desire for greater security ... or part of a strategic attempt to exploit aftermath of the Arab spring," the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy