Now a fatwa allowing breastfeeding male colleagues
Cairo: In a bizarre case of disciplining a cleric for issuing a weird decree, one of the Sunni Islam’s highly regarded institutions is chastising a cleric for issuing an eccentric fatwa, which allows females to breastfeed their male colleagues.
Elucidating on such a decree, Dr Izzat Atiya of Egypt’s al-Azhar University said that it was a unique way of making a man symbolically related to his female counterpart at work, thereby prohibiting any sexual encounter.
However, with the president of al-Azhar University condemning the fatwa, Dr Atiya has finally drawn back from his stance, thereby accepting it as defamatory to Islam.
As per the Islamic tradition, or Hadith, breastfeeding establishes maternal relation, even in case a female nurses a baby, who is not biologically hers.
According to Dr Atiya, the head of al-Azhar`s Department of Hadith, such wisdom could be applied to adults.
Dr Atiya said that if a female fed a male co-worker "directly from her breast" at least five times, in such a situation, both would develop a family bond and can be allowed to be together alone at work.
"Breast feeding an adult puts an end to the problem of the private meeting, and does not ban marriage. A woman at work can take off the veil or reveal her hair in front of someone whom she breastfed,” Atiya said.
Incidentally, the fatwa has sparked an outrage all over Egypt and the Arab community.
On Sunday, Dr Atiya retracted from his statement and said that he was grossly misquoted and said that it was a "bad interpretation of a particular case.”
Meanwhile, Mahmoud Zaqzouq, Egypt`s religious affairs minister has called for future fatwas to "be compatible with logic and human nature".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in