Obama emails Delhi lawyer, a Harvard classmate, about Nobel
New Delhi: It was a surprise email for
Supreme Court lawyer Surat Singh from his "friend" US
President Barack Obama, saying that he honestly did not feel
that he deserved to be a Nobel laureate.
Singh, who studied alongwith Obama at the Harvard Law
School 21 years ago, was earlier also invited by the US
President for his inaugural ceremony in Washington on January
20 this year.
"This morning, Michelle (wife) and I awoke to some
surprising and humbling news.
"...To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in
the company of so many of the transformative figures who`ve
been honoured by this prize -- men and women who`ve inspired
me and inspired the entire world through their courageous
pursuit of peace," Obama wrote in the email to Singh.
The US President said that he was grateful to Singh that
he "stood with me thus far, and I am honoured to continue our
vital work in the years to come".
Obama also explained to Singh why he said in his remarks
after the announcement that the award comes as a "call to
action, a call for all nations and all peoples to confront the
common challenges of the 21st century".
"...I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace
Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement;
it`s also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of
causes," Obama wrote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das