OC gives explanation through full-page ads
New Delhi: Miffed by the negative reports,
the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee (OC) on Tuesday took
the unusual step of publishing full-page advertisements in
most of the leading newspers in a bid to clear the misgivings
about its expenses during last month`s mega-event.
In the advertisement, titled `Special Commonwealth Games
Report`, the OC explained that it had no role on the money
spent on any infrastructure/construction related projects.
Besides, it even rubbished widespread claims that figures
relating to the conduct of the Games shot up to Rs 28,000
crores - 70,000 crores.
The run-up to the mega event was marred by missed
deadlines, corruption scandals, cost overruns and filthy rooms
at the Games Village.
OC Chairman Suresh Kalmadi bore the brunt of the
criticism for the mismanagement. He resigned as Secretary of
the Congress Parliamentary Party (CPP) yesterday.
Giving details, OC in the report said that the total
budget was Rs 1831 crores plus the overlays, while the amount
that has been spent till date was Rs 1400 crores plus the
The Committee gave the figures of Rs 674 crores as the
revenue raised by OC through sponsorship/TV rights/ticketing.
And the value to contract awarded to Government
agencies/PSU/CGF was given as Rs 620 crores.
The OC sought to clarify that it had no role in
developing the infrastructure and in fact, it specified its
roles and responsibilities in a separate column in the special
Amongst other justifications, the OC gave full details of
the tender process for awarding the contracts.
Meanwhile, under a title `The real story about tissue
paper and treadmill`, OC explained the myths and truths of the
tissue paper rolls and umbrellas, while listing the items
(treadmills, cross-trainers, air-conditioners, DG set upto
5KVA, refrigerators -- 250 & 350 litres, ice-making machines,
air fresheners, mosquito repellant, printers) that were not
procured as Overlays.
The media widely reported earlier that the toilet paper
rolls were bought by the OC at whopping 4,000 (approx) bucks a
pop and umbrellas were bought at Rs 6,000 per piece, while
treadmills were hired at Rs 9 lakh and air conditioners hired
at Rs 4 lakh.
Apart from all the clarifications, OC also gave the
details of how extravagant the 2010 event was and also some
of the acclaims it received during the Games from the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore