OC gives explanation through full-page ads
New Delhi: Miffed by the negative reports,
the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee (OC) on Tuesday took
the unusual step of publishing full-page advertisements in
most of the leading newspers in a bid to clear the misgivings
about its expenses during last month`s mega-event.
In the advertisement, titled `Special Commonwealth Games
Report`, the OC explained that it had no role on the money
spent on any infrastructure/construction related projects.
Besides, it even rubbished widespread claims that figures
relating to the conduct of the Games shot up to Rs 28,000
crores - 70,000 crores.
The run-up to the mega event was marred by missed
deadlines, corruption scandals, cost overruns and filthy rooms
at the Games Village.
OC Chairman Suresh Kalmadi bore the brunt of the
criticism for the mismanagement. He resigned as Secretary of
the Congress Parliamentary Party (CPP) yesterday.
Giving details, OC in the report said that the total
budget was Rs 1831 crores plus the overlays, while the amount
that has been spent till date was Rs 1400 crores plus the
The Committee gave the figures of Rs 674 crores as the
revenue raised by OC through sponsorship/TV rights/ticketing.
And the value to contract awarded to Government
agencies/PSU/CGF was given as Rs 620 crores.
The OC sought to clarify that it had no role in
developing the infrastructure and in fact, it specified its
roles and responsibilities in a separate column in the special
Amongst other justifications, the OC gave full details of
the tender process for awarding the contracts.
Meanwhile, under a title `The real story about tissue
paper and treadmill`, OC explained the myths and truths of the
tissue paper rolls and umbrellas, while listing the items
(treadmills, cross-trainers, air-conditioners, DG set upto
5KVA, refrigerators -- 250 & 350 litres, ice-making machines,
air fresheners, mosquito repellant, printers) that were not
procured as Overlays.
The media widely reported earlier that the toilet paper
rolls were bought by the OC at whopping 4,000 (approx) bucks a
pop and umbrellas were bought at Rs 6,000 per piece, while
treadmills were hired at Rs 9 lakh and air conditioners hired
at Rs 4 lakh.
Apart from all the clarifications, OC also gave the
details of how extravagant the 2010 event was and also some
of the acclaims it received during the Games from the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi