One arrested for provoking Sangli riots
Sangli: The Maharashtra police arrested Imran Hassan Nadaf, a resident of Miraj, on charges of conspiracy and inciting riots in Sangli district on Saturday.
The Satara and Sangli districts of the state have been witnessing communal riots since September 2 over a hoarding on an arch of a Ganesh pandal portraying the 16th century historical encounter in which Maratha warrior Shivaji slayed Mughal general Afzal Khan.
Sangli Superintendent of Police, Krishna Prakash said that Nadaf was arrested on charges of inciting violence and attempting to desecrate a religious idol.
From the last 10 days the district administration of Sangli and Satara districts have clamped the curfew in the violent hit areas.
Meanwhile, a relaxation of over eight hours in the curfew would be effected in the day hours in Ichalkaranji town of Kolhapur district on Saturday.
According to Superintendent Police of Kolhapur Yashsvi Yadav, the curfew would be relaxed from 9.30 am to 6.00 pm.
Yadav added that if any unlawful incident occurs then curfew would be reimposed.
There was, however, no major incident reported in the city on Friday, Yadav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015