One arrested for provoking Sangli riots
Sangli: The Maharashtra police arrested Imran Hassan Nadaf, a resident of Miraj, on charges of conspiracy and inciting riots in Sangli district on Saturday.
The Satara and Sangli districts of the state have been witnessing communal riots since September 2 over a hoarding on an arch of a Ganesh pandal portraying the 16th century historical encounter in which Maratha warrior Shivaji slayed Mughal general Afzal Khan.
Sangli Superintendent of Police, Krishna Prakash said that Nadaf was arrested on charges of inciting violence and attempting to desecrate a religious idol.
From the last 10 days the district administration of Sangli and Satara districts have clamped the curfew in the violent hit areas.
Meanwhile, a relaxation of over eight hours in the curfew would be effected in the day hours in Ichalkaranji town of Kolhapur district on Saturday.
According to Superintendent Police of Kolhapur Yashsvi Yadav, the curfew would be relaxed from 9.30 am to 6.00 pm.
Yadav added that if any unlawful incident occurs then curfew would be reimposed.
There was, however, no major incident reported in the city on Friday, Yadav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Another on brink of extinction: Northern spotted owl added to endangered species list
- This teen daughter of slain Indian Army captain will leave all Muslim-haters red faced – WATCH
- India's 1-run loss to West Indies: Twitter world, especially KING VIRU go crazy
- China's top 500 firms report first revenue decline in 15 years
- ONGC hires consultant to assess reserves in GSPC KG gas block