One arrested for provoking Sangli riots
Sangli: The Maharashtra police arrested Imran Hassan Nadaf, a resident of Miraj, on charges of conspiracy and inciting riots in Sangli district on Saturday.
The Satara and Sangli districts of the state have been witnessing communal riots since September 2 over a hoarding on an arch of a Ganesh pandal portraying the 16th century historical encounter in which Maratha warrior Shivaji slayed Mughal general Afzal Khan.
Sangli Superintendent of Police, Krishna Prakash said that Nadaf was arrested on charges of inciting violence and attempting to desecrate a religious idol.
From the last 10 days the district administration of Sangli and Satara districts have clamped the curfew in the violent hit areas.
Meanwhile, a relaxation of over eight hours in the curfew would be effected in the day hours in Ichalkaranji town of Kolhapur district on Saturday.
According to Superintendent Police of Kolhapur Yashsvi Yadav, the curfew would be relaxed from 9.30 am to 6.00 pm.
Yadav added that if any unlawful incident occurs then curfew would be reimposed.
There was, however, no major incident reported in the city on Friday, Yadav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail