One more prosecution witness turns hostile in Sankararaman case
Puducherry: One more prosecution witness
turned hostile on Friday during trial in the Sankararaman murder
case, in which Kanchi Sankaracharya Jayendra Saraswathi and
his junior Jayendra Saraswathi are the main accused.
When hearing in the case resumed before the Principal
District and sessions Judge T Ramaswamy, only eight of the 24
accused were present. The absentees included the two seers.
Special Public Prosecutor N Devadoss who examined the
witness, a former Village Administrative Officer, declared him
hostile as he contradicted earlier statements.
He also examined another prosecution witness former Police
Inspector in Kancheepuram, since retired as Deputy
Superintendent of Police).
The judge then adjourned the case to March 7, saying it
would be held for five days in a row from that date.
Of the 167 witnesses examined so far since commencement of
the trial two years ago, as many as 76 have turned hostile.
Sankararaman, Manager of the Varadararjaperumal temple in
Kancheepuram, was allegedly murdered on the premises of the
temple on September 3, 2004.
The two seers had been accused of hatching a conspiracy to
The trial was shifted to Puducherry from Chengalpattu
district court on Supreme Court`s order in October 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!