Outsourcing abattoir maintenance may save MCD 1.5 cr
New Delhi: The MCD is planning to
outsource operation and maintenance of its Ghazipur
slaughterhouse, a move which may help the civic body save Rs
1.5 crore per month being spent on the abattoir which is yet
to be fully functional even after a year of its completion.
The state-of-the-art unit, set up in line with a 2004
Supreme Court order, was inaugurated last year. The MCD was
expected to shut the old slaughterhouse at Idgah with the
opening of the abattoir that has the capacity of slaughtering
10,000 animals in three sections -- halal, jhatka and buffalo.
However, the civic body has so far failed to convince
all the butchers, especially the halal meat association, to
shift to the new complex, making the closing down of the Idgah
With the operation and maintenance of Ghazipur unit
set to be given to private firm Frigorifico Allana Ltd for 10
years, the civic body officials expect to save costs of
running the abattoir.
MCD officials said the corporation will collect a rent
of Rs 50 lakh per month from the lease holder, which will help
it save Rs 1.5 crore per month.
The proposal for this regard has been passed by the
MCD Standing Committee and will be brought before the next
meeting of the House for approval.
At present, Food Processing Equipments Co Ltd jointly
executes operations in the abattoir with MCD in return for a
payment of Rs 45 lakh per month.
MCD spends Rs 1.5 crore every month in operations
costs, electricity charges, manpower cost, salaries to MCD
engineers and other supporting staff besides the expenses
incurred on running the Idgah slaughterhouse.
The lease rent paid by the company to MCD will be Rs
6.2 crore per year.
The lessee will also operate and maintain livestock
markets, arrange animal handlers, butchers, sanitation workers
and other skilled and unskilled labourers and collect revenue
from all users.
The private company has also proposed to undertake a
series of steps to provide better facilities to the users,
It will install water sprinkler systems for washing
animals before slaughter, use its own fleet of 18 refrigerated
vehicles for transportation of carcasses, augment power
supply, provide subsidised food to staff and butchers, ensure
laundry facilities for daily cleaning of uniforms and install
close-circuit televisions within the plant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter