Over-reaction to security issues spoiled CWG cycling event: UCI
Mumbai: The overreaction to security issue and the decision to keep spectators away spoiled the cycling event during the Delhi Commonwealth Games, International Cycling Union (UCI) President Pat McQuaid said.
"The UCI was involved with the organisers in the build up to the Commonwealth Games though I was not personally there. I felt cycling was spoiled following an over-reaction to security," McQuaid said an interview.
"A bigger crowd could have been allowed. But I feel it was due to lack of experience. With more experience such things would not have happened," he said.
"However, the successful organisation of the CWG, would act as catalyst not just for cycling but for other sports as well. Otherwise it has been only cricket, cricket, cricket in India. But India will have to continue to organise big tournaments to reap the fruit of the Commonwealth Games."
McQuaid further said that it was disappointing to see that the world-class velodrome built for the Games, has not been used even once by the Cycling Federation of India (CFI) once the Games were over.
"It`s a shame that the velodrome has not been used by the CFI," he said adding that the CFI, in association with the Asian Cycling Confederation, should try to organise more competitions in the valedrome.
"However, the organisation of big events would have no point without development at the grassroots," he said.
The country`s first timber track cycling velodrome, with a seating capacity of 3200 people, constructed at an expense of Rs 150 crore, was inaugurated just before the Commonwealth Games after many delays.
It eventually took 17 months to build the stadium, which has been certified by the UCI as category 1 velodrome.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!