Oz coach Ric Charlesworth agrees to stay on
Sydney: Australian men`s hockey coach Ric Charlesworth agreed to a contract extension which will keep him in charge until after the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
Charlesworth, who has guided the Kookaburras to virtually every major title available, was previously expected to step down after the London Olympics next year.
"We recognise that Ric is one of Australia`s best and most successful international coaches," said Hockey Australia chief executive Mark Anderson.
"The contract extension ensures that we are able to retain his vast insight and experience within the Australian system to deliver further success and develop our next generation of international players."
Charlesworth said his immediate focus was the London Olympics.
"London is the short term-medium term goal. We have to make the most of the next three months as we race towards London," he said.
"So far, I think we have played good hockey, but we are far from solid yet."
The 59-year-old took charge of the world`s number one team in 2008.
He steered them to the 2009 and 2010 Champions Trophy titles and victory at the 2010 World Cup and 2010 Commonwealth Games.
Charlesworth also coached the women`s Hockeyroos from 1993 to 2000, leading them to two Olympic gold medals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video