Oz golfer arrested in Japan for possessing cocaine
Tokyo: Australian golfer Wayne Perske was arrested early Saturday in Japan on suspicion of cocaine possession, police said.
The 36-year-old professional, in Japan for the Bridgestone Open, is suspected of possessing 1.25 grams (0.044 ounces) of cocaine at a bar in Chiba, southeast of Tokyo, said a spokesman for Chiba Central Police Department.
A customer at the bar late Friday reported to the police that a foreigner had a suspicious substance, leading officers to search and arrest him, a police officer was quoted by Kyodo News as saying.
Perske reportedly admitted to having the drug, telling investigators that he had intended to take it himself.
Perske, who won a Japanese tour event in 2006, lost in the preliminary round of the Bridgestone Open, which began on Thursday, in Chiba.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy