Oz golfer arrested in Japan for possessing cocaine
Tokyo: Australian golfer Wayne Perske was arrested early Saturday in Japan on suspicion of cocaine possession, police said.
The 36-year-old professional, in Japan for the Bridgestone Open, is suspected of possessing 1.25 grams (0.044 ounces) of cocaine at a bar in Chiba, southeast of Tokyo, said a spokesman for Chiba Central Police Department.
A customer at the bar late Friday reported to the police that a foreigner had a suspicious substance, leading officers to search and arrest him, a police officer was quoted by Kyodo News as saying.
Perske reportedly admitted to having the drug, telling investigators that he had intended to take it himself.
Perske, who won a Japanese tour event in 2006, lost in the preliminary round of the Bridgestone Open, which began on Thursday, in Chiba.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed