Paes, Bhupathi advance in mixed doubles
London: Veterans Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi, along with their respective partners, advanced to the third round of the Wimbledon mixed doubles event after notching up straight-set second-round wins.
Bhupathi and his Russian partner Elena Vesnina, seeded fourth, beat Australians Stephen Huss and Anastasia Rodionova 6-2, 7-6 (3), while 14th seeds Paes and Zimbabwe`s Cara Black got the better of the Dutch-Polish team of Rogier Wassen and Alicja Rosolska 6-1, 6-4.
But it was curtains for Somdev Devvarman in the men`s doubles event after he and Japan`s Kei Nishikori lost 3-6, 4-6, 6-7 (5) to the sixth seeded French-Serbian combine of Michael Llodra and Nenad Zimonjic in the second round yesterday.
Bhupathi and Vesnina will now be facing an American-Belarussian combination of Eric Butorac and Olga Govortsova.
On the other hand, Paes and Black will be up against the winners of the second-round match between the third seeded Serbian-Slovak pair of Nenad Zimonjic and Katarina Srebotnik and local favourites Ross Hutchins and Heather Watson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off