Phoolan murder accused to file nomination
New Delhi: Sher Singh Rana, the prime
accused in bandit-turned-politician Phoolan Devi murder case,
was on Tuesday allowed by a Delhi court to file his nomination
papers from Tihar jail for contesting Uttar Pradesh assembly
Rana had moved the court of Chief Metropolitan magistrtae
Vinod Yadav seeking custody parole for filing the nomination
papers for contesting the elections from Jewar constituency in
Gautam Budh Nagar district as a candidate of Rastravadi Pratap
While denying him custody parole, CMM Yadav said "I am
not inclined to grant custody parole to the applicant for this
purpose. However, if the applicant is eligible to contest
assembly elections, then it is his constitutional right to
have his nomination paper filed in the constituency in
accordance with rules."
The court also directed the Director General (Prisons),
Tihar Jail, to take all possible steps to get Rana`s
nomination papers filled up and ensure that they are sent to
the concerned officer as per rules.
Rana said he wanted to work for the society and the
nation as part of the government.
Rana had allegedly shot dead Phoolan Devi outside her
official residence at 44, Ashoka Raod in central Delhi on July
He had escaped from Tihar jail in 2004 and travelled to
Afghanistan and brought back the remains of Prithviraj
Chauhan, the last rulers of Ajmer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price