Phoolan murder accused to file nomination
New Delhi: Sher Singh Rana, the prime
accused in bandit-turned-politician Phoolan Devi murder case,
was on Tuesday allowed by a Delhi court to file his nomination
papers from Tihar jail for contesting Uttar Pradesh assembly
Rana had moved the court of Chief Metropolitan magistrtae
Vinod Yadav seeking custody parole for filing the nomination
papers for contesting the elections from Jewar constituency in
Gautam Budh Nagar district as a candidate of Rastravadi Pratap
While denying him custody parole, CMM Yadav said "I am
not inclined to grant custody parole to the applicant for this
purpose. However, if the applicant is eligible to contest
assembly elections, then it is his constitutional right to
have his nomination paper filed in the constituency in
accordance with rules."
The court also directed the Director General (Prisons),
Tihar Jail, to take all possible steps to get Rana`s
nomination papers filled up and ensure that they are sent to
the concerned officer as per rules.
Rana said he wanted to work for the society and the
nation as part of the government.
Rana had allegedly shot dead Phoolan Devi outside her
official residence at 44, Ashoka Raod in central Delhi on July
He had escaped from Tihar jail in 2004 and travelled to
Afghanistan and brought back the remains of Prithviraj
Chauhan, the last rulers of Ajmer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand