PM, Sonia pay tributes to Tagore
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi joined other dignitaries in paying tributes to Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore on his birth anniversary here today.
They offered flowers before the portrait of Tagore in the Central Hall of Parliament House.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, Leader of Lok Sabha Pranab Mukherjee, BJP leader L K Advani, several Union Ministers and MPs also paid floral tributes before the portrait which was unveiled by the then President Rajendra Prasad in the Central Hall of Parliament House in 1958.
Inaugurating the year-long celebrations to mark the 150th birth anniversary of Tagore on Saturday last, the Prime Minister had announced that the government would institute a prestigious international award named after Tagore to recognize his contributions for promotion of international
brotherhood and fraternity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside