PM to meet Service chiefs to discuss security
New Delhi: The Prime Minister is meeting top commanders of all three defence services on Tuesday. The occasion - a three-day brain storming session to be inaugurated by Manmohan Singh. The meeting comes in the wake of concerns over the security situation in the South Asian region.
Apart from the three services chiefs, military commanders and Principal Staff Officers (PSOs) will also attend the Combined Commanders Conference. During the deliberations, the Prime Minister is expected to discuss the security scenario in the region including the situation in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
"The Services will also get to interact with Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Home Minister P Chidambaram and External Affairs Minister SM Krishna," Defence officials said.
Singh is also expected to hold talks on the progress in infrastructure development programme in the Northeast and modernization of military capabilities there.
Meanwhile, the five-day bi-annual Army Commanders Conference focusing on the macro-level issues of military preparedness and combat capabilities started on Monday.
"The Conference will focus on macro issues such as operational preparedness, equipment sustainment for mission readiness and maximizing combat power generation capability of the Army including improvement of habitat in high altitude," officials had said earlier.
It will also hold discussions on enhancing professional military education, logistics and administrative aspects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!