Pondy announces relief of Rs 20,000 per hectare for drought hit-ryots
Puducherry: Puducherry government on Sunday announced Rs 20,000 as relief to drought-hit farmers for a hectare of paddy field lost in Karaikal.
Chief Minister N Rangasamy told the territorial assembly that with non-availability of water in cauvery system, crops on 4,749 hectares had been hit in Karaikal.
The government made a survey of the situation and it had been decided to provide a relief of Rs 20,000 per hectare of paddy field in Karaikal, he said.
Rangasamy made the announcement in the Assembly in response to pleas made by ruling AINRC legislator P R Siva, the independent member V M C Sivakumar (both hailing from Karaikal) and by opposition AIADMK legislator A Anbalagan.
Earlier the House witnessed noisy scenes with Anbalagan making out a strong case for relief to drought hit farmers.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know