Powers of Spl Metropolitan Magistrates revoked in Delhi
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has revoked the powers of 46 special metropolitan magistrates of the national capital who used to hear traffic rule violation cases.
The Court dispensed with the services of the special
magistrates who were earlier appointed for one year to handle
traffic rule violation cases by disposing off the challans
issued by Delhi police against the offenders.
"The Chief Justice and Judges of the High Court have
been pleased to revoke powers of Metropolitan Magistrates
under the CrPC upon the Special Metropolitan Magistartes on
expiry of their term on July 31, 2009," an order issued by the
office of Registrar of the High Court, said.
On the request of the state or central governments,
the High Courts are empowered under the Criminal Procedure
Code to appoint Special MMs to deal with a particular class of
In an effort to lessen the burden of regular courts,
the High Court had earlier appointed these Special MMs to deal
with traffic rule violation cases which, besides the cheque
bounce matters, constitute a major portion of pendening cases.
Now regular courts headed by Metropolitan Magistrates
would hear such cases, sources said.
Over 3,500 cases under the Motor Vehicle Act were
pending in the courts of Special Metropolitan Magistrate till
February this year, according to an official data.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH