Priyanka asks voters to change negative politics
Rae Bareli: Exhorting voters to change the "negative politics" prevalent in UP for the past 22 years, Congress star campaigner Priyanka Gandhi on Saturday said leaders should get the message that they will not get support if they do no work for progress.
Addressing an election meeting in Ahiyar area under Saraini Vidhan Sabha seat for Congress candidate Ashok Singh, Gandhi said, "Voters will have to give a serious thought and decide on changing 22 years of negative politics".
Asserting that the vote should be for their future, she said, "Leaders should also know that if they do not work for development and progress of the people, people would not vote them...it would be only then that politics would change".
Emphasising that she had family ties with Rae Bareli and Amethi and not a political one, Gandhi said that she has not come here seeking votes but to wake up the people as otherwise communal forces would continue to "mislead and play with the future of people".
Development is your right but politics in UP has come to such a low that leaders consider it as some kind of "gratitude", she said, adding non-Congress parties are "befooling" the people in the name of caste and religion.
By diverting the attention of the people, they are developing themselves, she said asking people to choose a government which strengthens democracy and develops UP.
Referring to central government providing funds for development, she said there had been no dearth of funds but instead of letting them reach the people, the "government of Uttar Pradesh used it for its own use".
"Farmers here did not get fertilisers and people failed to get power....it was corruption and anarchy which was encouraged," she charged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!