Puducherry registers estimated 85 per cent polling
Puducherry: The Union Territory of Puducherry
on Wednesday registered an estimated 85 per cent polling in elections
for its 30-member assembly.
District Election Officer Ragesh Chandra told PTI that
polling went off peacefully. He said Yanam "as usual topped
the list with highest percentage of polling among all the four
regions of the Union Territory". The percentage of polling in
Yanam, an enclave of Puducherry in Andhra Pradesh, was 95.54.
The total voters strength of the Union Territory is about
8.10 lakhs and the larger turnout, particularly of women, in
rural and semi-urban areas is a demonstration of enthusiastic
participation of the electorates.
The Union Territory Assembly has a total of 30 seats spread
over Puducherry (23), Karaikal (five), Mahe and Yanam (one
each). The 2006 assembly polls registered an 85.46 percent of
polling. Counting of votes is slated for May 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi