Puducherry registers estimated 85 per cent polling
Puducherry: The Union Territory of Puducherry
on Wednesday registered an estimated 85 per cent polling in elections
for its 30-member assembly.
District Election Officer Ragesh Chandra told PTI that
polling went off peacefully. He said Yanam "as usual topped
the list with highest percentage of polling among all the four
regions of the Union Territory". The percentage of polling in
Yanam, an enclave of Puducherry in Andhra Pradesh, was 95.54.
The total voters strength of the Union Territory is about
8.10 lakhs and the larger turnout, particularly of women, in
rural and semi-urban areas is a demonstration of enthusiastic
participation of the electorates.
The Union Territory Assembly has a total of 30 seats spread
over Puducherry (23), Karaikal (five), Mahe and Yanam (one
each). The 2006 assembly polls registered an 85.46 percent of
polling. Counting of votes is slated for May 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?