PWD engineer murder: Policeman arrested
Lucknow: Sub-inspector Hoshiar Singh, one of the 11 suspects in PWD engineer Manoj Gupta`s murder, was arrested in Uttar Pradesh`s Auraiya district on Saturday after absconding for seven months, police said.
Gupta had reportedly been killed as he refused to raise money for Chief Minister`s Mayawati`s birthday party.
"Of the 11 accused in the murder case, Singh was the only one who was absconding. He was arrested from Auraiya this (Saturday) morning," Additional Superintendent of Police Rajendra Kumar said. Auraiya is about 250 km from state capital Lucknow.
Kumar said further action against Singh, who has already been dismissed from his job, would be taken on the directives of a local court in Auraiya where he would be produced.
Even as police said Singh was nabbed, there were reports that the sub-inspector surrendered at the Kotwali police station.
On this, Kumar said, "There could be a possibility that Singh had made up his mind to surrender and was coming to the police station. However, we nabbed Singh midway, before he could surrender."
Now all the 11 accused, including the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) legislator Shekhar Tiwari, have been arrested.
Manoj Gupta, an executive engineer with the Public Works Department (PWD), was killed in a brutal manner, allegedly by Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) legislator Shekhar Tiwari on December 24, 2008 in a government guest house in Auraiya. Gupta had reportedly refused to shell out a huge donation demanded by the legislator for Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati`s birthday celebrations on January 15.
At the time of the murder, Singh was the officer in charge of Diviyapur police station, under whose jurisdiction the scene of the murder falls. Singh is considered to be close to Tiwari and political circles say his posting in Auraiya was at the legislator`s behest. Tiwari had handed over fatally injured Gupta at the police station -- and the police two hours later took him to the district hospital where the doctors declared him dead.
On May 12, the Allahabad High Court had transferred the murder trial from the Auraiya district court to a Lucknow sessions court and ordered the trial to be completed within six months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning