PWD engineer murder: Policeman arrested
Lucknow: Sub-inspector Hoshiar Singh, one of the 11 suspects in PWD engineer Manoj Gupta`s murder, was arrested in Uttar Pradesh`s Auraiya district on Saturday after absconding for seven months, police said.
Gupta had reportedly been killed as he refused to raise money for Chief Minister`s Mayawati`s birthday party.
"Of the 11 accused in the murder case, Singh was the only one who was absconding. He was arrested from Auraiya this (Saturday) morning," Additional Superintendent of Police Rajendra Kumar said. Auraiya is about 250 km from state capital Lucknow.
Kumar said further action against Singh, who has already been dismissed from his job, would be taken on the directives of a local court in Auraiya where he would be produced.
Even as police said Singh was nabbed, there were reports that the sub-inspector surrendered at the Kotwali police station.
On this, Kumar said, "There could be a possibility that Singh had made up his mind to surrender and was coming to the police station. However, we nabbed Singh midway, before he could surrender."
Now all the 11 accused, including the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) legislator Shekhar Tiwari, have been arrested.
Manoj Gupta, an executive engineer with the Public Works Department (PWD), was killed in a brutal manner, allegedly by Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) legislator Shekhar Tiwari on December 24, 2008 in a government guest house in Auraiya. Gupta had reportedly refused to shell out a huge donation demanded by the legislator for Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati`s birthday celebrations on January 15.
At the time of the murder, Singh was the officer in charge of Diviyapur police station, under whose jurisdiction the scene of the murder falls. Singh is considered to be close to Tiwari and political circles say his posting in Auraiya was at the legislator`s behest. Tiwari had handed over fatally injured Gupta at the police station -- and the police two hours later took him to the district hospital where the doctors declared him dead.
On May 12, the Allahabad High Court had transferred the murder trial from the Auraiya district court to a Lucknow sessions court and ordered the trial to be completed within six months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'