Qatar to bid for 2017 world championships
Doha: Qatar will bid for the 2017 world athletics championships, the country`s Olympic Committee said on Wednesday.
Qatar, named this year as winning bidders for the 2022 soccer World Cup, hosted the world indoor championships last year.
London, hosting the Summer Olympics next year with a new stadium in east London, last week became the first city to announce a bid for the 2017 championships.
Formal bids must be submitted to the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) by Sept. 1 with the winners to be announced in Monaco in November.
Beijing will host the 2015 championships after ending up as sole bidder after London withdrew due to uncertainty, now resolved, over the future use of the 2012 Olympic stadium.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'