Rashid runs away with LG Northern India Amateur title
New Delhi: Rashid Khan scripted a sensational
come-from-behind win with a magnificent final round of
six-under 66 to lift the LG Northern India Amateur Golf
Championship here today.
Starting the day five shots back, Rashid (286) went on to
win his second title on the LG Amateur Tour this season ahead
of 15-year-old Ankur Chaddha (289) who could not match
Rashid`s pace and carded one-over 73 to finish runners-up in
his first start on the amateur circuit.
Bangalore`s Abhishek Jha (293), the overnight leader,
could not hold on to his position and finished with a
disappointing 78 on the final day to finish third.
Rashid, playing one group ahead of the leaders, got into
top gear very early on and maintained the tempo to run away
with the title.
While everyone expected Jha to hold his ground, it
was the rookie on tour, Ankur Chaddha, who stayed in the hunt,
and even pulled level with Rashid after a tap-in for birdie
on the 11th hole.
Both players stayed neck-and-neck and it was heading for
a tight finish till Rashid found another gear and swiftly
pulled ahead with a birdie-birdie finish.
"I played a very poor third round and I was really
frustrated with myself. I knew the only chance of winning a
title was if I carded a low round," Rashid said.
Ankur took a positive view of his outing and said, "The
experience was great and I got a lot of confidence from this,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'