RBI may take "early action" to check rising food prices: PMEAC
Chennai: The Reserve Bank may take "some
early action" if rising food prices do not ease in the coming
weeks, PMEAC Chairman C Rangarajan said here today.
"One was expecting some decline in prices particularly
during November and December. There may be some seasonal
decline in December. If it is not happening then there may be
some early action on the part of Reserve Bank," Rangarajan
told reporters here.
Early this month, Rangarajan had said RBI may start
sucking out money from the system to combat inflation
depending on how food prices move in December.
The annual rate of food inflation rose to 19.05 per cent
for the week ended November 28.
Rangarajan said, "It is true that (food inflation) is due
to the supply-side issue. But there is also serious shortage
of food. We must ensure that the overall monetary growth and
demand is under control."
To that extent, he said the monetary policy had a role to
play. But, by and large, efforts must be made to ensure the
supply or the stocks also get increased.
"If inflationary pressure persists for a long time it can
fuel inflationary expectations and monetary policy will have
to take a nuanced view on this," RBI governor had said this
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video