RBI may take "early action" to check rising food prices: PMEAC
Chennai: The Reserve Bank may take "some
early action" if rising food prices do not ease in the coming
weeks, PMEAC Chairman C Rangarajan said here today.
"One was expecting some decline in prices particularly
during November and December. There may be some seasonal
decline in December. If it is not happening then there may be
some early action on the part of Reserve Bank," Rangarajan
told reporters here.
Early this month, Rangarajan had said RBI may start
sucking out money from the system to combat inflation
depending on how food prices move in December.
The annual rate of food inflation rose to 19.05 per cent
for the week ended November 28.
Rangarajan said, "It is true that (food inflation) is due
to the supply-side issue. But there is also serious shortage
of food. We must ensure that the overall monetary growth and
demand is under control."
To that extent, he said the monetary policy had a role to
play. But, by and large, efforts must be made to ensure the
supply or the stocks also get increased.
"If inflationary pressure persists for a long time it can
fuel inflationary expectations and monetary policy will have
to take a nuanced view on this," RBI governor had said this
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened