RBI to review monetary policy on Tuesday
Mumbai: India`s central bank will review its monetary policy for the current fiscal on Tuesday amid growing signs of recovery in the industrial sector but concerns over rising inflation, especially due to high food prices.
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor D Subbarao will review the policy before the chief executives of commercial banks amid expectations that key rates will be left untouched but the cash reserve ratio may be hiked to curb money supply.
In the first quarter review of the policy three months ago, the central bank had kept the key rates unchanged, but cautioned that inflation rate could balloon to 5 percent.
In April, Subbarao had cut the repo and the reverse repo rates by 25 basis points each, even as the bank rate, the statutory liquidity ratio and the cash reserve ratio were left unchanged.
The repo rate, currently at 4.75 percent, is the interest charged by the RBI on borrowings by commercial banks. A reduction in it lowers the cost of borrowings for commercial banks.
The reverse repo rate, currently at 3.25 percent, is the rate at which the central bank borrows money from commercial banks. A lowering of this rate makes it less lucrative for banks to park funds with the central bank.
The cash reserve ratio, now at 5 percent, is the amount banks have to retain in the form of cash, while statutory liquidity ratio, at 24 percent, is the amount these institutions have to invest in specified securities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says