Real Madrid appeal Mourinho suspension
Paris: Real Madrid on Friday launched an appeal against the three-match ban handed to coach Jose Mourinho for his comments after the first leg of Real`s Champions League semi-final defeat by Barcelona.
"Real Madrid CF have appealed against the disciplinary verdict handed down to Real Madrid CF coach Jose Mourinho by the UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body on 6 May, and relating to the UEFA Champions League semi-final first leg between Real Madrid CF and FC Barcelona in Madrid on 27 April," read a statement on the UEFA website.
"The appeal follows the sending by UEFA of the reasoned decision on 6 June. The date of the hearing will be communicated in due course."
Mourinho has already completed one match of his ban, having watched the second leg of the Barcelona tie in a hotel room.
He was also ordered to pay a 50,000-euro (72,000 dollars) fine by UEFA.
European football`s governing body gave a three-match European ban to Mourinho, with one match suspended, after he made allegations of favouritism towards Barcelona.
Barca won the first leg 2-0 at Real`s Santiago Bernabeu stadium before a 1-1 draw in the return leg took them into the final, where they beat Manchester United.
UEFA`s Control and Disciplinary Body found that a string of comments from Mourinho alleging that Barcelona benefited from decisions in their favour at their rivals` expense had constituted "inappropriate statements".
Mourinho unleashed a tirade against Barca after seeing Portuguese defender Pepe sent off during his team`s first-leg defeat on April 27.
"I don`t know if it`s the Unicef (Barca`s sponsor) publicity or the friendship of (Spanish football federation chief Angel) Villar at UEFA, where he is vice-president," Mourinho said.
"I don`t know if it`s because they are so nice, but they have got great power. The rest of us have no chance.”
"They are a great team, so congratulations to them, but they have this power. Pepe sent off and me too. I don`t know why."
He also directed barbs at Barca counterpart Pep Guardiola, saying: "I would be embarrassed to win the Champions League like this."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report