Real unaware of Portugal interest in Mourinho
Madrid: Real Madrid said they are unaware of any approach for their coach Jose Mourinho to take temporary charge of the Portuguese national team for next month’s Euro 2012 qualifiers.
“I have just spoken to the sports management team and they know nothing, so there is little to say,” Real director Emilio Butragueno told reporters on Thursday.
“It’s something novel, there are no precedents and that’s that. If it becomes something official we’ll see what the club decides.”
Portuguese sports daily Record reported earlier that the country’s football federation (FPF) wanted Mourinho to take charge of the national side for two Euro 2012 qualifiers in October.
They said FPF President Gilberto Madail had travelled to Spain to meet Mourinho’s agent Jorge Mendes to try to persuade Real to release their Portuguese coach for the qualifiers at home against Denmark on Oct. 8 and away to Iceland four days later.
Portugal sacked Carlos Queiroz earlier this month in the wake of his six-month suspension for insulting anti-doping agents before the World Cup and have yet to name a replacement.
Portugal’s Euro 2012 qualifying campaign has got off to a dismal start with a 4-4 home draw with Cyprus followed by a 1-0 defeat in Norway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks
- 20 killed in Syria regime strike on Aleppo
- Donald Trump vows `America first` foreign policy
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks