Record 81% voting in Goa, 100% in one booth
Panaji: Goa witnessed a huge turnout for the Assembly elections on Saturday with a record 81 percent voters casting their ballots.
North Goa district reported a big turnout with
constituencies of Poriem, Sanguem and Madkai recording 89 percent voting followed by Sankhalimat 87 percent while an estimated 75 percent voters cast their ballots in South Goa.
Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi told reporters in New Delhi that an estimated 81 percent voters had cast their ballots in the coastal state. The previous highest voting in the state was in 2007 when 70.51 percent voters had voted.
The Election Commission officials were in for a surprise
when a booth in Dovorlim locality near Margao reported 100 per
cent voting by 3.30 pm, 90 minutes before the close of
polling. Two booths, one in Poriem and another in Sankhalim
constituency, had recorded 95 per cent voting by 4 pm.
The figures received till 4 pm indicated that people in
the mining belt came out in large number for polling.
Minor scuffles reported during the day with Congress`
Panaji candidate Yatin Parekh hurling abuses against
BJP workers while Public Works Department minister Churchill
Alemao threatened a senior police officer in front of the
media in his Navelim constituency.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case