Retd Tamil teacher to get house as gift on Sept 5
Chennai, Aug 25: Come September five, a retired
teacher will get his `Guru Dakshina` when 500 of his students,
whom he taught Tamil over 20 years back, will gift him a newly
built two storey house.
Tamil Scholar S V Venkatraman, who retired in 1985 after
working for 41 years at a school in Gurusamypalayam in Tamil
Nadu`s Namakkal District, had to move out of the town as he
was unable to pay his rent.
When news about his plight reached his students, they
came together to his rescue.
"Around 500 of us held a meeting in 2007. We decided to
pool in money for a house and gift it to him," M A Arthanari,
a retired municipal commissioner and an old student, who
convened the meeting, told over phone from Namakkal.
"Our Tamil Pundit gets a pension of Rs 9,000. He has to
support his wife and son. All his savings have been spent on
the marriages of his two daughters. So, we thought we should
do something for our Guru," he said.
"We collected Rs 10 lakh and purchased a 1,200 square
foot plot and constructed the house," he said, adding that
initially their teacher was reluctant to accept the house, but
was finally prevailed upon by them to accept it.
The house will be handed over to Venkataraman on
September 5, the Teachers Day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation