Revenue division plan brings to fore Chavan- Deshmukh divide
Mumbai, Jan 06: Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok
Chavan`s initiative for setting up a new Revenue Division at his home town Nanded, has brought to fore differences between him and his predecessor Vilasrao Deshmukh.
A day after the State Cabinet approved the proposal for
Nanded Revenue Division, there were violent incidents in
Deshmukh`s hometown Latur and neighbouring Parbhani, with
agitators damaging buses and trucks.
Deshmukh`s detractors are seeing political motives behind
the protests in Latur. MPCC General Secretary Sanjay Lakhe
Patil has dashed off a letter to party president Sonia Gandhi,
drawing her attention to `attempts being made to politicise
what is basically an administrative decision`.
"I have also sent a similar letter to AICC in-charge of
Maharashtra affairs A K Antony," Lakhe told reporters here.
In the letter, Lakhe referred to Latur Municipal Council
chief Venkat Bendre, a staunch supporter of Deshmukh, leading
an all-party protest against Nanded division.
Maharashtra Cabinet has approved the division at Nanded,
bifurcating the Aurangabad division which comprises eight
districts - Aurangabad, Jalna, Parbhani, Hingoli, Nanded,
Latur, Osmanabad and Beed.
Deshmukh was in favour of the division being set up at
Latur but Chavan has beaten him to it.
Chavan`s `cordial` ties with key Deshmukh detractor
Narayan Rane have also ruffled Deshmukh, who played a key role
in making him the Chief Minister while keeping Rane away from
Meanwhile, Diliprao Deshmukh, Vilasrao Deshmukh`s
brother, has suggested a new revenue division office be set up
for Latur, Osmanabad and the soon-to-be formed Ambajogai
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!