Revenue division plan brings to fore Chavan- Deshmukh divide
Mumbai, Jan 06: Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok
Chavan`s initiative for setting up a new Revenue Division at his home town Nanded, has brought to fore differences between him and his predecessor Vilasrao Deshmukh.
A day after the State Cabinet approved the proposal for
Nanded Revenue Division, there were violent incidents in
Deshmukh`s hometown Latur and neighbouring Parbhani, with
agitators damaging buses and trucks.
Deshmukh`s detractors are seeing political motives behind
the protests in Latur. MPCC General Secretary Sanjay Lakhe
Patil has dashed off a letter to party president Sonia Gandhi,
drawing her attention to `attempts being made to politicise
what is basically an administrative decision`.
"I have also sent a similar letter to AICC in-charge of
Maharashtra affairs A K Antony," Lakhe told reporters here.
In the letter, Lakhe referred to Latur Municipal Council
chief Venkat Bendre, a staunch supporter of Deshmukh, leading
an all-party protest against Nanded division.
Maharashtra Cabinet has approved the division at Nanded,
bifurcating the Aurangabad division which comprises eight
districts - Aurangabad, Jalna, Parbhani, Hingoli, Nanded,
Latur, Osmanabad and Beed.
Deshmukh was in favour of the division being set up at
Latur but Chavan has beaten him to it.
Chavan`s `cordial` ties with key Deshmukh detractor
Narayan Rane have also ruffled Deshmukh, who played a key role
in making him the Chief Minister while keeping Rane away from
Meanwhile, Diliprao Deshmukh, Vilasrao Deshmukh`s
brother, has suggested a new revenue division office be set up
for Latur, Osmanabad and the soon-to-be formed Ambajogai
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video