Revenue division plan brings to fore Chavan- Deshmukh divide
Mumbai, Jan 06: Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok
Chavan`s initiative for setting up a new Revenue Division at his home town Nanded, has brought to fore differences between him and his predecessor Vilasrao Deshmukh.
A day after the State Cabinet approved the proposal for
Nanded Revenue Division, there were violent incidents in
Deshmukh`s hometown Latur and neighbouring Parbhani, with
agitators damaging buses and trucks.
Deshmukh`s detractors are seeing political motives behind
the protests in Latur. MPCC General Secretary Sanjay Lakhe
Patil has dashed off a letter to party president Sonia Gandhi,
drawing her attention to `attempts being made to politicise
what is basically an administrative decision`.
"I have also sent a similar letter to AICC in-charge of
Maharashtra affairs A K Antony," Lakhe told reporters here.
In the letter, Lakhe referred to Latur Municipal Council
chief Venkat Bendre, a staunch supporter of Deshmukh, leading
an all-party protest against Nanded division.
Maharashtra Cabinet has approved the division at Nanded,
bifurcating the Aurangabad division which comprises eight
districts - Aurangabad, Jalna, Parbhani, Hingoli, Nanded,
Latur, Osmanabad and Beed.
Deshmukh was in favour of the division being set up at
Latur but Chavan has beaten him to it.
Chavan`s `cordial` ties with key Deshmukh detractor
Narayan Rane have also ruffled Deshmukh, who played a key role
in making him the Chief Minister while keeping Rane away from
Meanwhile, Diliprao Deshmukh, Vilasrao Deshmukh`s
brother, has suggested a new revenue division office be set up
for Latur, Osmanabad and the soon-to-be formed Ambajogai
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- DNA : Today in History, 26th July, 2016
- Praveen Rana named as Narsingh Yadav's replacement for Rio Olympics by WFI
- Jallikattu: Customs, traditions have to pass legal and constitutional test as well, says SC
- Milky Way's hot gaseous Halo spins like a disk!
- 'Pained' by Una episode, many Dalits plan to embrace Buddhism
- 28 killed, scores injured in floods, landslides across Nepal