Robbers take away the whole ATM
Hoshiarpur: Unable to break open the Automated Teller Machine (ATM) of a private bank, robbers took away the entire machine late Friday night.
But two policemen chased them and got the ATM back before it could be broken open. The thieves escaped.
The ICICI Bank ATM, which contained over Rs.500,000 in cash, was robbed from Shimla Pahadi crossing, a popular point in this town 140 km from state capital Chandigarh.
ATM guard Sandeep Singh told police Saturday that two people came to the ATM followed by others. They beat him up, uprooted the ATM and took it away in a car.
But a police constable and a volunteer of the Home Guards chased the robbers and forced them to flee after abandoning the getaway car.
Apart from the ATM, the police found a gas cutter and a gas cylinder from the Maruti Zen car used by the robbers. They also found a mobile phone and a wallet, presumably of the thieves.
Raids were being conducted to nab them, district police chief Pramod Ban told media here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof