Ronaldo set for final farewell to football
Rio De Janeiro: Brazil legend Ronaldo is set to bid his final farewell to football in a friendly against Romania in Sao Paulo on June 7, the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) said on Wednesday.
Ronaldo announced his definitive retirement from competitive football on February 14, citing fatigue and a hypothyroid problem which played havoc with his weight.
The 34-year-old striker agreed to participate in the match following talks with CBF chief Ricardo Teixeira.
“Ronaldo deserves a farewell match and the supporters deserve seeing him playing for the last time in the Brazil national team jersey and in a Brazilian stadium,” said Teixeira.
“I’m sure the celebrations will be up to matching the achievements of Ronaldo during his career.”
A two-time World Cup winner with Brazil in 1994 and 2002, Ronaldo said two weeks ago his body could no longer match the demands he was putting on it.
“I’m stopping my career as a professional footballer,” he said. “It’s been a beautiful, emotional, marvelous career.
“These last two years, I’ve had a long series of injuries, from one side to the other, one leg to the other, one muscle to the other. The pain pushed me to think about the end of my career.”
The CBF compared the farewell match to the ones organized for fellow Brazilian legends Pele and Zico.
On a message posted on his Twitter site, Ronaldo enticed fans by saying: “Do you have something planned for June 7? Come by the Pacaembu (stadium) and we’ll party together.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan