Rudi Krol eager to coach Indian football team
New Delhi: Former Dutch captain Rudi Krol, a veteran of two World Cup finals, is eager to coach the Indian football team, soccer officials say.
The 62-year-old is one of the several coaches who have applied for the post of chief coach, which is vacant after the resignation of Bob Houghton.
A top All India Football Federation (AIFF) official stated that Krol`s CV was among the several they have received from foreign coaches in the last two weeks.
AIFF secretary Kushal Das, however, refused to reveal names but confirmed that some former national coaches have applied.
"It is not possible to reveal the names. But some international coaches, who have the experience of coaching international sides have applied," said Das.
Krol, a former Dutch defender, played in 1974 and captained the side in the 1978 World Cup. On both the occasions Holland made the finals but lost to hosts West Germany and Argentina. Krol played 83 times for Holland between 1969-83, scoring four goals.
He was the star performer for the Dutch team in the 1978 World Cup in Argentina and also featured in the FIFA All Star team. In 1979, Krol finished third in the European Footballer of the Year competition behind the winner Kevin Keegan of England and Germany`s Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.
He spent most of his club career at Ajax Amsterdam and turned out for Italian club Napoli from 1980-84.
As a manager, he was in charge of the Egyptian national team in 1996 and was assistant manager of the Netherlands, under Louis van Gaal. He is currently in charge of top South African club side Orlando Pirates.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview