Safina powers into second round in Slovenia
Slovenia: World number one Dinara Safina breezed into the Slovenia Open second round when she beat local prospect Tadeja Majeric 6-0, 6-4.
The 23-year-old Russian, a late entry into the tournament, took only 65 minutes to sweep her 18-year-old opponent off the centre court in Slovenia`s plush Adriatic resort of Portoroz.
Safina dropped just six points in the opening set but had to step up a gear in the second after Majeric broke for a 4-3 lead.
The Russian broke back and then went 5-4 up before a tight final game, which she won with a powerful forehand down the line after five deuces.
In other first-round matches, Olga Govortsova of Belarus overcame Estonian third seed Kaia Kanepi 6-1, 6-2, while sixth seed Lucie Safarova of the Czech Republic overpowered Britain`s Katie O`Brien 6-4, 6-4.
Croat Petra Martic beat Germany`s Kristina Barrois 6-3, 6-4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore