Safina powers into second round in Slovenia
Slovenia: World number one Dinara Safina breezed into the Slovenia Open second round when she beat local prospect Tadeja Majeric 6-0, 6-4.
The 23-year-old Russian, a late entry into the tournament, took only 65 minutes to sweep her 18-year-old opponent off the centre court in Slovenia`s plush Adriatic resort of Portoroz.
Safina dropped just six points in the opening set but had to step up a gear in the second after Majeric broke for a 4-3 lead.
The Russian broke back and then went 5-4 up before a tight final game, which she won with a powerful forehand down the line after five deuces.
In other first-round matches, Olga Govortsova of Belarus overcame Estonian third seed Kaia Kanepi 6-1, 6-2, while sixth seed Lucie Safarova of the Czech Republic overpowered Britain`s Katie O`Brien 6-4, 6-4.
Croat Petra Martic beat Germany`s Kristina Barrois 6-3, 6-4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender