Safina powers into second round in Slovenia
Slovenia: World number one Dinara Safina breezed into the Slovenia Open second round when she beat local prospect Tadeja Majeric 6-0, 6-4.
The 23-year-old Russian, a late entry into the tournament, took only 65 minutes to sweep her 18-year-old opponent off the centre court in Slovenia`s plush Adriatic resort of Portoroz.
Safina dropped just six points in the opening set but had to step up a gear in the second after Majeric broke for a 4-3 lead.
The Russian broke back and then went 5-4 up before a tight final game, which she won with a powerful forehand down the line after five deuces.
In other first-round matches, Olga Govortsova of Belarus overcame Estonian third seed Kaia Kanepi 6-1, 6-2, while sixth seed Lucie Safarova of the Czech Republic overpowered Britain`s Katie O`Brien 6-4, 6-4.
Croat Petra Martic beat Germany`s Kristina Barrois 6-3, 6-4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands