Sahara India Pariwar in talks to buy MGM
San Francisco: Indian conglomerate Sahara India Pariwar is in discussions about buying the debt of struggling film studio Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer for USD 1.5 billion to USD 2 billion, according to two people familiar with the matter.
The sources did not elaborate on Sahara India Pariwar`s plans for MGM, which has about USD 4 billion in debt, and stressed that the talks were still at a preliminary stage.
"On mutual interest discussions are on but it`s too early to comment on the issue," said Abhijit Sarkar, corporate communications chief of Sahara India Pariwar, which owns businesses in media, entertainment, real estate and insurance.
MGM could not immediately be reached for comment.
Earlier this month, MGM said that it won extra breathing room to make its debt payments, with its lenders agreeing not to seek remedies for non-payment of debt until Oct. 29.
One source told Reuters that Sahara India Pariwar was contemplating a nearly USD 2 billion, all-cash deal for MGM`s debt. Another source pegged the deal at roughly USD 1.5 billion.
MGM has a film library that includes the James Bond and Pink Panther franchises, but it has been struggling to create new hits. It is also coping with plunging DVD sales as consumers move to viewing online.
The studio is saddled with debt from a USD 2.85 billion buyout in 2005 by a group that included private equity firms Providence Equity Partners, TPG, Quadrangle Group and DLJ Merchant Banking Partners, and media companies Sony Corp and Comcast Corp.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof