Sameer loses in Asia Youth badminton final
Lucknow: Top Indian junior shuttler Sameer Verma put up a spirited performance before going down to higher-seeded Malaysian opponent in straight games in the boys` singles final of the Asia Youth Under-19 badminton championships on Saturday.
Unseeded Sameer lost 15-21 17-21 to second seed Zulkiffli Zulfadli in 37 minutes at the Uttar Pradesh Badminton Academy courts.
Sameer, who won the boys singles U-19 title at the All India Junior Ranking Badminton Tournament at Haridwar in February, made his opponent work hard for every points but in the end, his efforts did not give him the desired result.
The current India junior number one, Sameer kept the shuttle close to the nets but his rival won on the account of better smash winners.
In a match that tested the nerves of both the players, Zulfadli hit 11 smash winners as compared to Sameer`s two.
In the first game, Sameer and Zulfadli were tied at 15-15 after which the Malaysian registered six straight points to win the game 21-15.
In the second game of the match, Sameer showed enough glimpses of his brilliance as he locked himself in a tight battle with Zulfadli.
However, the Malaysian was not ready to take it lying down and he surged ahead when the score was tied 17-17 and thereafter didn`t give the Indian any more chance to recover.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'