Sameer loses in Asia Youth badminton final
Lucknow: Top Indian junior shuttler Sameer Verma put up a spirited performance before going down to higher-seeded Malaysian opponent in straight games in the boys` singles final of the Asia Youth Under-19 badminton championships on Saturday.
Unseeded Sameer lost 15-21 17-21 to second seed Zulkiffli Zulfadli in 37 minutes at the Uttar Pradesh Badminton Academy courts.
Sameer, who won the boys singles U-19 title at the All India Junior Ranking Badminton Tournament at Haridwar in February, made his opponent work hard for every points but in the end, his efforts did not give him the desired result.
The current India junior number one, Sameer kept the shuttle close to the nets but his rival won on the account of better smash winners.
In a match that tested the nerves of both the players, Zulfadli hit 11 smash winners as compared to Sameer`s two.
In the first game, Sameer and Zulfadli were tied at 15-15 after which the Malaysian registered six straight points to win the game 21-15.
In the second game of the match, Sameer showed enough glimpses of his brilliance as he locked himself in a tight battle with Zulfadli.
However, the Malaysian was not ready to take it lying down and he surged ahead when the score was tied 17-17 and thereafter didn`t give the Indian any more chance to recover.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark