Sangli clashes: Situation tense, curfew ends today
Sangli (Maharashtra): Tension prevails in western Maharashtra’s Sangli following communal clash between two communities.
The curfew, imposed after the clashes, will be in force till 2 pm today.
The city had been tense since Thursday when some members of minority community allegedly damaged a Ganesh pendal depicting the historical scene of Shivaji killing Afzal Khan, they said.
The Ganesh mandals here have not immersed the idols as a protest against the incident.
The curfew was also imposed in troubled Miraj city in the district last night.
Maharashtra Home Minister Jayant Patil, who visited the city yesterday, urged members of both the communities to maintain peace and harmony.
The minister could not give orders due to Model Code of Conduct which is in force due to next month`s Assembly elections, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand