Sangli clashes: Situation tense, curfew ends today
Sangli (Maharashtra): Tension prevails in western Maharashtra’s Sangli following communal clash between two communities.
The curfew, imposed after the clashes, will be in force till 2 pm today.
The city had been tense since Thursday when some members of minority community allegedly damaged a Ganesh pendal depicting the historical scene of Shivaji killing Afzal Khan, they said.
The Ganesh mandals here have not immersed the idols as a protest against the incident.
The curfew was also imposed in troubled Miraj city in the district last night.
Maharashtra Home Minister Jayant Patil, who visited the city yesterday, urged members of both the communities to maintain peace and harmony.
The minister could not give orders due to Model Code of Conduct which is in force due to next month`s Assembly elections, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon