Sangli clashes: Situation tense, curfew ends today
Sangli (Maharashtra): Tension prevails in western Maharashtra’s Sangli following communal clash between two communities.
The curfew, imposed after the clashes, will be in force till 2 pm today.
The city had been tense since Thursday when some members of minority community allegedly damaged a Ganesh pendal depicting the historical scene of Shivaji killing Afzal Khan, they said.
The Ganesh mandals here have not immersed the idols as a protest against the incident.
The curfew was also imposed in troubled Miraj city in the district last night.
Maharashtra Home Minister Jayant Patil, who visited the city yesterday, urged members of both the communities to maintain peace and harmony.
The minister could not give orders due to Model Code of Conduct which is in force due to next month`s Assembly elections, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Muslim man removed from flight after attendant announced, 'Mohamed Ahmed, I will be watching you'
- Russia Doping: A chronology of major events
- 120 Taliban, ISIS militants killed in wide-scale operations by Afghan army, cops
- China, Pakistan launch first joint border patrols near Xinjiang
- Mamta Kulkarni breaks silence to rebuff drug racket reports, says glamour does not tantalize her anymore