Sangli clashes: Situation tense, curfew ends today
Sangli (Maharashtra): Tension prevails in western Maharashtra’s Sangli following communal clash between two communities.
The curfew, imposed after the clashes, will be in force till 2 pm today.
The city had been tense since Thursday when some members of minority community allegedly damaged a Ganesh pendal depicting the historical scene of Shivaji killing Afzal Khan, they said.
The Ganesh mandals here have not immersed the idols as a protest against the incident.
The curfew was also imposed in troubled Miraj city in the district last night.
Maharashtra Home Minister Jayant Patil, who visited the city yesterday, urged members of both the communities to maintain peace and harmony.
The minister could not give orders due to Model Code of Conduct which is in force due to next month`s Assembly elections, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Monsanto lobbies with US lawmakers on Indian regulatory issues
- Another on brink of extinction: Northern spotted owl added to endangered species list
- This teen daughter of slain Indian Army captain will leave all Muslim-haters red faced – WATCH
- India's 1-run loss to West Indies: Twitter world, especially KING VIRU go crazy
- China's top 500 firms report first revenue decline in 15 years