Sangli clashes: Situation tense, curfew ends today
Sangli (Maharashtra): Tension prevails in western Maharashtra’s Sangli following communal clash between two communities.
The curfew, imposed after the clashes, will be in force till 2 pm today.
The city had been tense since Thursday when some members of minority community allegedly damaged a Ganesh pendal depicting the historical scene of Shivaji killing Afzal Khan, they said.
The Ganesh mandals here have not immersed the idols as a protest against the incident.
The curfew was also imposed in troubled Miraj city in the district last night.
Maharashtra Home Minister Jayant Patil, who visited the city yesterday, urged members of both the communities to maintain peace and harmony.
The minister could not give orders due to Model Code of Conduct which is in force due to next month`s Assembly elections, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- This is how Dr APJ Abdul Kalam looked when he was a kid!
- Govt reviews porn ban order, blocks only child pornography-related websites
- 'Idiots are lined up at every step': Young IAS officer's fight against sexual harassment
- Which Kapoor does Katrina like the most besides beau Ranbir?