Sania improves ranking after good show in China
New Delhi: Sania Mirza gained 15 places in the WTA singles rankings to be 129th and jumped 20 positions in the doubles to 67th after a good show at the Guangzhou International Open in China.
Sania reached the quarter-finals of the singles event and won the doubles title along with Romania`s Edina Gallovits in China, last week.
However, India`s men`s singles star Somdev Devvarman slid to 117, a loss of four places.
Rohan Bopanna though marginally improved his singles ranking by reaching 473rd, a gain of six slots. He was static on 19th in the doubles list.
Leander Paes (9) and Mahesh Bhupathi (13) also had their doubles rankings unchanged.
India`s Davis Cup team yesterday pulled off a dramatic 3-2 win over Brazil in the play-off to retain its place on the elite World Group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: What a statement! When PM Narendra Modi blasted al-Qaida - 'Indian Muslims will live for India, die for India'
- Indian Railways: Check out the list of new rules from July 1
- IPL 2016: Points table, remaining fixtures, orange cap holder, purple cap holder
- Uttarakhand: Landslide, storm kill 11, injure many in Chakrata
- Frequent selfie takers less attractive?