Sania improves ranking after good show in China
New Delhi: Sania Mirza gained 15 places in the WTA singles rankings to be 129th and jumped 20 positions in the doubles to 67th after a good show at the Guangzhou International Open in China.
Sania reached the quarter-finals of the singles event and won the doubles title along with Romania`s Edina Gallovits in China, last week.
However, India`s men`s singles star Somdev Devvarman slid to 117, a loss of four places.
Rohan Bopanna though marginally improved his singles ranking by reaching 473rd, a gain of six slots. He was static on 19th in the doubles list.
Leander Paes (9) and Mahesh Bhupathi (13) also had their doubles rankings unchanged.
India`s Davis Cup team yesterday pulled off a dramatic 3-2 win over Brazil in the play-off to retain its place on the elite World Group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi