Sania improves ranking after good show in China
New Delhi: Sania Mirza gained 15 places in the WTA singles rankings to be 129th and jumped 20 positions in the doubles to 67th after a good show at the Guangzhou International Open in China.
Sania reached the quarter-finals of the singles event and won the doubles title along with Romania`s Edina Gallovits in China, last week.
However, India`s men`s singles star Somdev Devvarman slid to 117, a loss of four places.
Rohan Bopanna though marginally improved his singles ranking by reaching 473rd, a gain of six slots. He was static on 19th in the doubles list.
Leander Paes (9) and Mahesh Bhupathi (13) also had their doubles rankings unchanged.
India`s Davis Cup team yesterday pulled off a dramatic 3-2 win over Brazil in the play-off to retain its place on the elite World Group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- One killed, 30 wounded by explosions in southern Thailand – police
- Iraq summons its envoy to Portugal over teenager assault
- Cara Delevingne, Amber Heard turned away from strip club
- Obama promises aid to help Louisiana fully recover from flooding
- US investigating non-travel Zika case in new area in Florida