Sania progresses to pre-quarterfinals of Charleston WTA event
Charleston: Indian qualifier Sania Mirza edged past Vania King in a three-set battle to book a pre-quarterfinal berth in the WTA Family Circle Cup.
Showing nerves of steel, Sania erased a one-set deficit to score a 6-7(6), 6-4, 6-2 win over in-form local player in the second round of the USD 721,000 hard court event.
King had ousted 16th seed Russian Vera Dushevina in her opening round.
Sania will fight it out with either fourth seed Marion Bartoli of France or German wild card Sabine Lisicki for a spot in the last-eight.
Lisicki and world number 10 Bartoli will clash in their second round today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!