Sania progresses to pre-quarterfinals of Charleston WTA event
Charleston: Indian qualifier Sania Mirza edged past Vania King in a three-set battle to book a pre-quarterfinal berth in the WTA Family Circle Cup.
Showing nerves of steel, Sania erased a one-set deficit to score a 6-7(6), 6-4, 6-2 win over in-form local player in the second round of the USD 721,000 hard court event.
King had ousted 16th seed Russian Vera Dushevina in her opening round.
Sania will fight it out with either fourth seed Marion Bartoli of France or German wild card Sabine Lisicki for a spot in the last-eight.
Lisicki and world number 10 Bartoli will clash in their second round today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past