Sania progresses to pre-quarterfinals of Charleston WTA event
Charleston: Indian qualifier Sania Mirza edged past Vania King in a three-set battle to book a pre-quarterfinal berth in the WTA Family Circle Cup.
Showing nerves of steel, Sania erased a one-set deficit to score a 6-7(6), 6-4, 6-2 win over in-form local player in the second round of the USD 721,000 hard court event.
King had ousted 16th seed Russian Vera Dushevina in her opening round.
Sania will fight it out with either fourth seed Marion Bartoli of France or German wild card Sabine Lisicki for a spot in the last-eight.
Lisicki and world number 10 Bartoli will clash in their second round today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh