Sania progresses to pre-quarterfinals of Charleston WTA event
Charleston: Indian qualifier Sania Mirza edged past Vania King in a three-set battle to book a pre-quarterfinal berth in the WTA Family Circle Cup.
Showing nerves of steel, Sania erased a one-set deficit to score a 6-7(6), 6-4, 6-2 win over in-form local player in the second round of the USD 721,000 hard court event.
King had ousted 16th seed Russian Vera Dushevina in her opening round.
Sania will fight it out with either fourth seed Marion Bartoli of France or German wild card Sabine Lisicki for a spot in the last-eight.
Lisicki and world number 10 Bartoli will clash in their second round today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note