Sania progresses to pre-quarterfinals of Charleston WTA event
Charleston: Indian qualifier Sania Mirza edged past Vania King in a three-set battle to book a pre-quarterfinal berth in the WTA Family Circle Cup.
Showing nerves of steel, Sania erased a one-set deficit to score a 6-7(6), 6-4, 6-2 win over in-form local player in the second round of the USD 721,000 hard court event.
King had ousted 16th seed Russian Vera Dushevina in her opening round.
Sania will fight it out with either fourth seed Marion Bartoli of France or German wild card Sabine Lisicki for a spot in the last-eight.
Lisicki and world number 10 Bartoli will clash in their second round today.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists