Sebastian Vettel cruises to win Turkish Grand Prix
Istanbul: Defending drivers world champion Sebastian Vettel consolidated his lead in this year`s title race with a near-flawless drive to victory for Red Bull in Sunday`s Turkish Grand Prix.
The 23-year-old German led from his 19th career pole position to the chequered flag unchallenged, conceding the lead only once during his pit-stops, as he claimed his third win in four races this year.
It was the 13th win of his career and another day of celebration for the Red Bull team as Vettel`s teammate Australian Mark Webber overtook in a brilliant manoeuvre in the clsing stages two-times champion Spaniard Fernando Alonso of Ferrari to finish second.
It was the England-based team`s first one-two of the season and came at the conclusion of an action-packed contest full of overtaking moves and incidents.
Alonso, revelling in a much-improved Ferrari, finished third ahead of Briton Lewis Hamilton, the 2008 champion, who came home fourth for McLaren after a typically roller-coaster afternoon including one pit stop wrecked by a sticky wheel nut.
German Nico Rosberg was fifth for Mercedes ahead of Briton Jenson Button in the second McLaren, the 2009 champion losing ground after planning a three-stop race while most of his rivals went for four.
Another German Nick Heidfeld finished seventh for Renault ahead of Russian Vitaly Petrov in the second Renault, Swiss Sebastien Buemi of Toro Rosso, and the dazzling Japanese driver Kamui Kobayashi of Sauber, who finished 10th after starting at the back of the grid.
Seven-time champion Greman Michael Schumacher, 42, finished 12th for Mercedes, one place behind Ferrari`s Brazilian Felipe Massa, his former teammate.
The race featured a total of 73 pit stops - the most since the 1993 British Grand Prix at Donington, run in torrential rain and won by the legendary late Brazilian Ayrton Senna for McLaren.
Vettel`s winning time was one hour 30 minutes and 17.558 seconds.
"Yes," he screamed over his radio at the end. "Yes! That`s what I am talking about. What a race. We controlled it from the beginning to the end. Thank-you."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves