Sensex rises 120 pts in opening trade on Infosys results
Mumbai: The Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark index Sensex on Friday added nearly 120 points in opening trade, extending yesterday`s gains after IT bellwether Infosys announced better-than-expected quarterly results.
Firming trends on other Asian markets and overnight gains in US stocks also buoyed the trading sentiments here.
The 30-share BSE Sensex was up by 119.54 points to 16,963.08 points in opening trade with IT, teck, realty and sector stocks rising. The barometer gained 36.88 points in yesterday`s volatile session.
The wide-based National Stock Exchange index Nifty was also up by 30.35 points at 5,032.60 points.
Brokers said sentiments turned better after the country`s second second-largest software firm Infosys Technologies reported 7.54 percent rise in consolidated net profit after tax at Rs 1,540 crore for the quarter ended September 30, 2009.
Stocks of Infosys Technologies shot up by Rs 82.40, or almost 4 percent to Rs 2,293.65 at BSE.
Other gainers were Tata Consultancy Services by 2.08 percent to Rs 584.95, Wipro by 0.99 percent to Rs 570.70, Bharti Airtel by 3.15 percent to Rs 345.20, Rcom by 3.02 percent to Rs 253.75 and Tata Steel by 1.07 percent to Rs 540.80.
The China`s Shanghai index rose 3.84 percent, Japan`s Nikkei gained 1.36 percent, while Hong Kong`s Hang Seng was up 0.30 percent in the morning trade today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"