Serena Williams pulls out of US Open
New York: Serena Williams has pulled out of the US Open because she is still recovering from surgery on her right foot, the American world number one said on Friday.
Williams, who won her 13th grand slam at Wimbledon earlier this year, cut her foot on broken glass at a restaurant in July and has not played since.
“It is with much frustration and deep sadness that I am having to pull out of the US Open,” Williams said on the tournament’s website. “My doctors have advised against my playing so that my foot can heal.”
A three-time winner at Flushing Meadows, Williams absence will be a blow to U.S. title hopes with her sister Venus, the world number five, the only other American ranked in the top 40.
With Belgian Justine Henin announcing on Wednesday she would not be fit to play in the US Open and defending champion Kim Clijsters losing in Montreal after an injury scare, the year’s final grand slam is shaping up as a wide open affair.
“There are still so many other big names out there who can do well,” said Clijsters, who promised to be in Flushing Meadows to defend her crown despite a nagging hip injury that will require an MRI next week. “Serena and Justine are two big names but there are plenty more out there.
“I don’t look at the draw in that kind of way, I just focus on my matches and obviously now I am trying to be in the best shape possible to compete.”
A fan favourite and television ratings grabber, Williams is sure to be missed especially after her explosive and controversial exit from last year’s event.
Called for a foot fault in her semi-final against Clijsters, Williams exploded in an ugly outburst threatening a line judge during a confrontation that ultimately cost her the match.
“It doesn’t change much,” said Russian Vera Zvonareva, who lost to Williams in the Wimbledon final in early July.
“Serena is a great player and is great to watch but there are so many great players.
“It’s still going to be very tough for everyone.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH