Shunglu committee to begin probe soon on CWG scam
New Delhi: Armed with sweeping powers, the committee headed by former Comptroller and Auditor General V K Shunglu will soon begin its probe into alleged financial irregularities in different Commonwealth Games projects.
Official sources said a blue-print will be finalized before this week by the Committee for its probe.
It is likely that one or two new members may be inducted into the committee which is expected to submit its report within three months.
“The Terms of Reference (ToR) are wide and comprehensive. We will go in to every aspect of the complaints (related to the scam),” Shunglu, who heads the committee, told a news agency.
“The committee will arrive at a logical conclusion on the probe and submit its report within the stipulated time of three months,” he said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had on October 15 appointed the high-level committee to be headed by Shunglu. The Prime Minister’s Office has yesterday announced 10-point ToR for the Shunglu panel to investigate the weaknesses in management, alleged misappropriation, irregularities and wrongdoing in the conduct of the Games held here between October 3-14.
The committee has powers to summon officials, confiscate papers and inspect Games venues and Organising Committee offices.
According to the PMO, the Committee will have as its second member Shantanu Consul, Secretary, Department of Personnel and Training, after his retirement on October 31.
The CVC, CAG, Enforcement Directorate and the Income Tax Department are carrying out their respective probes into the alleged financial and administrative irregularities by the Games Organising Committee, Municipal Corporation of Delhi, Delhi Development Authority, New Delhi Municipal Council, Central Public Works Department and Ministry of Sports among others.
In reply to an RTI application filed by PTI, the CVC has given details of 22 projects executed by different government agencies where financial discrepancies have been detected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest