SIT member meets Guj riot victims to assess security
Mehasan (Guj): A member of the Supreme Court appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) met witnesses of Dipdadarwaja and Sardarpura riot cases of 2002 to assess their security arrangements, SIT officials said on Wednesday.
"We visited the witnesses of the Sardarpura and Dipdadarwaja riots of Mehsana district who are now living in the Satnagar village near Himmatnagar in Sabarkantha district," SIT member Paramvir Singh told reporters.
"The purpose of visit was to meet witnesses of the two
riot cases and see the progress of the trial in those cases,"
Singh said, adding that he also met the special public
prosecutor for the two cases.
Singh also visited the scene of offence in Sardarpura
village in Vijapur taluk and Dipdadarwaja area of Visnagar
town in Mehsana district.
Following the Gohdra train burning incident, communal
riots had broken out in different parts of the state. In one
such incident in Sardarpura, 33 people were killed by a
mob in March 2002.
While in another incident in Dipdadarwaja, 11 members of
minority community, including five children, were hacked to
death and burnt in their houses during the post-Godhra riots.
Singh said that witnesses of both the cases were
satisfied with the security arrangements made by the SIT.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says