SIT member meets Guj riot victims to assess security
Mehasan (Guj): A member of the Supreme Court appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) met witnesses of Dipdadarwaja and Sardarpura riot cases of 2002 to assess their security arrangements, SIT officials said on Wednesday.
"We visited the witnesses of the Sardarpura and Dipdadarwaja riots of Mehsana district who are now living in the Satnagar village near Himmatnagar in Sabarkantha district," SIT member Paramvir Singh told reporters.
"The purpose of visit was to meet witnesses of the two
riot cases and see the progress of the trial in those cases,"
Singh said, adding that he also met the special public
prosecutor for the two cases.
Singh also visited the scene of offence in Sardarpura
village in Vijapur taluk and Dipdadarwaja area of Visnagar
town in Mehsana district.
Following the Gohdra train burning incident, communal
riots had broken out in different parts of the state. In one
such incident in Sardarpura, 33 people were killed by a
mob in March 2002.
While in another incident in Dipdadarwaja, 11 members of
minority community, including five children, were hacked to
death and burnt in their houses during the post-Godhra riots.
Singh said that witnesses of both the cases were
satisfied with the security arrangements made by the SIT.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why