Somdev in round 2 of Legg Mason Tennis Classic
Washington: India`s Somdev Devvarman defeated Denis Gremelmayr of Germany 6-2, 6-3 to enter the second round of the men`s singles event at the Legg Mason Tennis Classic here.
It took the 62nd-ranked Indian less than an hour to close the match Tuesday night.
Somdev had defeated Gremelmayr at Wimbledon earlier this year, where the German retired trailing 4-6, 2-4.
In the first round match, Somdev sprinted through the first set in 20 minutes. He then broke Gremelmayr in the seventh game of the second set before serving out the set and the match.
"I was having a great day serving and felt really comfortable in the rallies," said Somdev.
"My goal this year is to reach the top 50 in the world. I have some work to do to get there, but that is my goal."
Somdev now plays seventh seed Marcos Baghdatis, whom he had beaten in the second round of the Indian Wells this year.
"The last time I played Baghdatis, it was in desert conditions. The court was slower. These courts will be faster. I need to hold serve and try to get an early break. I feel very confident going into the match," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai