Somdev in round 2 of Legg Mason Tennis Classic
Washington: India`s Somdev Devvarman defeated Denis Gremelmayr of Germany 6-2, 6-3 to enter the second round of the men`s singles event at the Legg Mason Tennis Classic here.
It took the 62nd-ranked Indian less than an hour to close the match Tuesday night.
Somdev had defeated Gremelmayr at Wimbledon earlier this year, where the German retired trailing 4-6, 2-4.
In the first round match, Somdev sprinted through the first set in 20 minutes. He then broke Gremelmayr in the seventh game of the second set before serving out the set and the match.
"I was having a great day serving and felt really comfortable in the rallies," said Somdev.
"My goal this year is to reach the top 50 in the world. I have some work to do to get there, but that is my goal."
Somdev now plays seventh seed Marcos Baghdatis, whom he had beaten in the second round of the Indian Wells this year.
"The last time I played Baghdatis, it was in desert conditions. The court was slower. These courts will be faster. I need to hold serve and try to get an early break. I feel very confident going into the match," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!