Somdev, Lee-Hesh for Davis Cup tie against Japan
New Delhi: Somdev Devvarman will spearhead India`s singles challenge in a four-member team announced by the All India Tennis Association today for the Davis Cup World Group playoffs against Japan from September 16 to 18.
"The Selection Committee of the All India Tennis Association met in Delhi on August 18 to select the Indian Team for the India-Japan World Group Play Offs at Tokyo, Japan on September 16, 17 and 18," the AITA said in a statement.
The meeting was chaired by Anil Dhupar, the head of the senior selection committee, Rohit Rajpal and Balram Singh.
The team composition does not offer any surprises with Rohan Bopanna being the other singles` player for the tie to be played in the Japanese capital of Tokyo.
Veterans Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi will team up for the lone doubles encounter of the five-match rubber. The team will have S P Misra as the non-playing captain.
Karan Rastogi and Vishnu Vardhan are reserves in the side.
India had lost the World Group first round tie against Serbia 1-4 in March earlier this year.
The Team: Somdev Devvarman, Rohan Bopanna, Leander Paes, Mahesh Bhupathi
Reserve: Karan Rastogi, Vishnu Vardhan.
Non-Playing Captain: SP Misra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!