Somdev, Lee-Hesh for Davis Cup tie against Japan
New Delhi: Somdev Devvarman will spearhead India`s singles challenge in a four-member team announced by the All India Tennis Association today for the Davis Cup World Group playoffs against Japan from September 16 to 18.
"The Selection Committee of the All India Tennis Association met in Delhi on August 18 to select the Indian Team for the India-Japan World Group Play Offs at Tokyo, Japan on September 16, 17 and 18," the AITA said in a statement.
The meeting was chaired by Anil Dhupar, the head of the senior selection committee, Rohit Rajpal and Balram Singh.
The team composition does not offer any surprises with Rohan Bopanna being the other singles` player for the tie to be played in the Japanese capital of Tokyo.
Veterans Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi will team up for the lone doubles encounter of the five-match rubber. The team will have S P Misra as the non-playing captain.
Karan Rastogi and Vishnu Vardhan are reserves in the side.
India had lost the World Group first round tie against Serbia 1-4 in March earlier this year.
The Team: Somdev Devvarman, Rohan Bopanna, Leander Paes, Mahesh Bhupathi
Reserve: Karan Rastogi, Vishnu Vardhan.
Non-Playing Captain: SP Misra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi