Sports Ministry sanctions 2.5 lakh for former cager
New Delhi: Moved by the indigent financial state of former volleyball player Saly George Joseph, Sports Minister M S Gill sanctioned Rs 2.5 lakh to help the Arjuna awardee.
"Union Minister for Youth Affairs and Sports Dr M S Gill has sanctioned ex-gratia assistance of Rs 2.50 Lakh from National Welfare Fund for Sportspersons, to Ms Saly George Joseph, a former volleyball player and Arjuna Awardee (1984), who is living in indigent conditions," the Sports Ministry said in a statement.
George had played volleyball at the national and international level from 1980 to 1986.
"Taking into consideration her financial position, the Sports Minister has sanction ex-gratia payment to Ms. George," the statement read.
Under the Scheme of National Welfare Fund for Sportspersons, the ministry provides financial assistance to outstanding sportspersons of the past, who are facing financial distress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- AAP has become shelter of comedians not having ideology, says BJP
- Bhagwant Mann must be refrained from entering into Parliament: JD(U)
- Pokemon GO launched in Japan, thousands start hunting and capturing monsters
- Oppressed Dalits will teach a lesson to BJP: Arvind Kejriwal in Gujarat
- Una incident: Dalit victim back in hospital ahead of Rahul Gandhi’s visit under 'political pressure'