Sports Ministry sanctions 2.5 lakh for former cager
New Delhi: Moved by the indigent financial state of former volleyball player Saly George Joseph, Sports Minister M S Gill sanctioned Rs 2.5 lakh to help the Arjuna awardee.
"Union Minister for Youth Affairs and Sports Dr M S Gill has sanctioned ex-gratia assistance of Rs 2.50 Lakh from National Welfare Fund for Sportspersons, to Ms Saly George Joseph, a former volleyball player and Arjuna Awardee (1984), who is living in indigent conditions," the Sports Ministry said in a statement.
George had played volleyball at the national and international level from 1980 to 1986.
"Taking into consideration her financial position, the Sports Minister has sanction ex-gratia payment to Ms. George," the statement read.
Under the Scheme of National Welfare Fund for Sportspersons, the ministry provides financial assistance to outstanding sportspersons of the past, who are facing financial distress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Muslim woman told to remove hijab for job application in New Zealand
- Kriti Sanon wishes 'Heropanti' director Sabbir Khan a very happy birthday! Pic inside
- Suicide attack in Baghdad kills at least 10 people
- BJP made Dayashankar Singh use foul language against me; SP also involved in conspiracy, alleges Mayawati
- New compound may help fight epilepsy