Sprinter Bolt gives tips on striking a pose
Shanghai: Jamaica’s Usain Bolt, the world’s fastest man and the unrivalled champion at striking a pose after a big win, says a signature stance is all about personality.
The 23-year-old’s trademark “To the World” move -- pointing to the sky while cocking his arm as if firing an arrow -- has been adopted by everyone from US National Football League wide receivers to the 2012 London Olympics mascots.
“For me a pose is just a part of you. It’s just who you are. The best thing you can come up with is part of your personality. It’s just what you want to do,” Bolt said Friday with a smile at a news conference in Shanghai.
“It’s nothing specific. You might see something you like or you’ll do something at home. Anything is good as long as it is good for you,” he said ahead of the IAAF Diamond League meet in Shanghai on Sunday.
Bolt’s poses and enthusiasm have been credited with helping put the fun back in the world of athletics. In Shanghai, he will compete in his first 200m of the season.
Chinese hurdles star Liu Xiang recalled watching Bolt -- who won three gold medals at the Beijing Games in 2008 -- speed down the track at past competitions.
“He looks like someone from another planet, not like us earthlings,” Liu said.
At this year’s Vancouver Winter Games, speed skating triple gold medallist Wang Meng brought out her own poses, cupping her hands behind her ears, fingers spread wide, to encourage the crowd to make noise.
But Bolt was unable to offer any feedback on Wang’s moves.
“Personally, I never watch the Winter Olympics,” he said.
“I’m not a fan of the cold weather.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor