Sprinter Bolt gives tips on striking a pose
Shanghai: Jamaica’s Usain Bolt, the world’s fastest man and the unrivalled champion at striking a pose after a big win, says a signature stance is all about personality.
The 23-year-old’s trademark “To the World” move -- pointing to the sky while cocking his arm as if firing an arrow -- has been adopted by everyone from US National Football League wide receivers to the 2012 London Olympics mascots.
“For me a pose is just a part of you. It’s just who you are. The best thing you can come up with is part of your personality. It’s just what you want to do,” Bolt said Friday with a smile at a news conference in Shanghai.
“It’s nothing specific. You might see something you like or you’ll do something at home. Anything is good as long as it is good for you,” he said ahead of the IAAF Diamond League meet in Shanghai on Sunday.
Bolt’s poses and enthusiasm have been credited with helping put the fun back in the world of athletics. In Shanghai, he will compete in his first 200m of the season.
Chinese hurdles star Liu Xiang recalled watching Bolt -- who won three gold medals at the Beijing Games in 2008 -- speed down the track at past competitions.
“He looks like someone from another planet, not like us earthlings,” Liu said.
At this year’s Vancouver Winter Games, speed skating triple gold medallist Wang Meng brought out her own poses, cupping her hands behind her ears, fingers spread wide, to encourage the crowd to make noise.
But Bolt was unable to offer any feedback on Wang’s moves.
“Personally, I never watch the Winter Olympics,” he said.
“I’m not a fan of the cold weather.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi