Sreesanth rewarded, gets T20 & ODI call
Mumbai: Paceman S Sreesanth was today rewarded for his impressive return to international cricket with a berth in India`s T20 and one-day squads for the series against Sri Lanka, beginning from December 9.
Pace spearhead Zaheer Khan and seasoned off-spinner Harbhajan Singh were rested for the two Twenty20 matches while Bengal paceman Ashok Dinda and Tamil Nadu all-rounder R Ashwin were the two new faces.
Delhi paceman Ashish Nehra also found a place in both the squads, announced by BCCI secretary N Srinivasan after a meeting of the selection meeting here.
Sudeep Tyagi, the Uttar Pradesh speedster, who was in India`s one-day squad during the recent series against Australia has been retained in the squad for the two T20 matches and and the first two one-dayers.
Struggling Ishant Sharma was included in the T20 squad but was omitted from the ODI team, which will have Zaheer, Praveen Kumar, Nehra, Sreesanth and Tyagi as specialist pace bowlers.
Opener Gautam Gambhir, who has skipped the ongoing third and final Test against Sri Lanka to attend his sister`s wedding, has been named in both the squads.
The national senior selection committee, headed by former captain K Srikkanth, has opted to give a chance to a few youngsters who have done well in the domestic circuit.
The 25-year-old paceman Dinda shot into limelight in the inaugural edition of the Indian Premier League and has been a consistent performer in the Ranji Trophy matches for Bengal.
Ashwin is a promising off-spin bowler and also a useful batsman down the order. His all round abilities will provide variety to the team in the shortest format of the game.
The teams to be captained by Mahendra Singh Dhoni have a blend of youth and experience with Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh, Harbhajan and Zaheer being the senior players.
For T20s: Mahendra Singh Dhoni (C), Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Suresh Raina, Yuvraj Singh, Dinesh Kartick, Yusuf Pathan, R Ashwin, Ishant Sharma, Ashish Nehra, S Sreesanth, Ashok Dinda, Sudeep Tyagi, Pragyan Ojha and Rohit Sharma.
For first two ODIs: Mahendra Singh Dhoni (C), Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh, Suresh Raina, Ravindra Jadeja, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan, Praveen Kumar, Ashish Nehra, S Sreesanth, Pragyan Ojha, Sudeep Tyagi and Virat Kohli.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31