Sushil Kumar, Mary Kom get top honours at Sahara awards
New Delhi : Wrestler Sushil Kumar and boxer M C Mary Kom today bagged the honours for the sportsman of the year and sportswoman of the year respectively at the second Sahara India Sports Awards here.
Indian Davis cup team was named the team of the year.
Rifle shooter Gagan Narang, who picked up four gold medals in the Commonwealth Games in Delhi earlier this month, and young woman archer Deepika Kumari, who bagged two gold medals in the Games, were declared best male and female athletes in the multi-sport extravaganza.
These were two special awards for performances outside the period under consideration.
Five-time world boxing champion Mary Kom was named the sportswoman of the year and world wrestling champion Kumar was honoured as the sportsman of the year at the function here.
While Sachin Tendulkar was named the cricketer of the year, the best woman cricketer of the year award was bagged by former national captain Mithali Raj. Tendulkar was also
presented the Icon of The Millennium award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets