Suspected Chinese spy ship near Andamans
New Delhi: A suspected Chinese spy ship
apparently camouflaged as a fishing trawler to possibly keep
an eye on Indian military activities near the Andaman and
Nicobar Islands was detected by the Navy in the area.
The incident reinforced the assessment in the country of
an increasing Chinese presence and interest in the Indian
Ocean Region and the Bay of Bengal in the recent past.
The ship was detected nearly four months ago in the
international waters and may have been used to track
Indian missiles tests and movement of other aircraft and
warships in the region, Navy sources said here today.
The Navy warships could not take any action against it
as it was not in Indian territorial waters but kept a close
watch on its activities there, they said.
"In the coming years, the presence of Chinese ships will
increase around Bay of Bengal and Indian Ocean with the
inclusion of their aircraft carrier," defence analyst
Commander Sunil Chauhan (retd) said.
In the recent years, the Chinese Navy`s presence has
increased in the Bay of Bengal and the Indian Ocean, which it
says is to protect its business interests there.
After the increased activity of the Chinese Navy in the
in the early part of the decade, India started fortifying its
presence and preparedness in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands
by deploying a new tri-services command there.
In a phased-approach, India also plans to beef up its
force-levels in the islands which include the ramping of army,
navy, air force and coast guard infrastructure, including a
The plans also include deployment of Su-30MKI aircraft,
extending the length of existing runways for heavy transport
aircraft operations, increasing the strength of personnel and
amphibious warfare capabilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional