Suspected Chinese spy ship near Andamans
New Delhi: A suspected Chinese spy ship
apparently camouflaged as a fishing trawler to possibly keep
an eye on Indian military activities near the Andaman and
Nicobar Islands was detected by the Navy in the area.
The incident reinforced the assessment in the country of
an increasing Chinese presence and interest in the Indian
Ocean Region and the Bay of Bengal in the recent past.
The ship was detected nearly four months ago in the
international waters and may have been used to track
Indian missiles tests and movement of other aircraft and
warships in the region, Navy sources said here today.
The Navy warships could not take any action against it
as it was not in Indian territorial waters but kept a close
watch on its activities there, they said.
"In the coming years, the presence of Chinese ships will
increase around Bay of Bengal and Indian Ocean with the
inclusion of their aircraft carrier," defence analyst
Commander Sunil Chauhan (retd) said.
In the recent years, the Chinese Navy`s presence has
increased in the Bay of Bengal and the Indian Ocean, which it
says is to protect its business interests there.
After the increased activity of the Chinese Navy in the
in the early part of the decade, India started fortifying its
presence and preparedness in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands
by deploying a new tri-services command there.
In a phased-approach, India also plans to beef up its
force-levels in the islands which include the ramping of army,
navy, air force and coast guard infrastructure, including a
The plans also include deployment of Su-30MKI aircraft,
extending the length of existing runways for heavy transport
aircraft operations, increasing the strength of personnel and
amphibious warfare capabilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in