`Talaq` given under pressure is not divorce: Shariat court
Muzaffarnagar: A Shariat court here has
observed that a `talaq` given under pressure cannot amount to
The court made this observation while hearing a
15-year-old divorce case in which the petitioner had claimed
that his assent for `talaq` from his wife was "forcibly" taken
by his in-laws.
Shafiqullah, 45, a resident of Aligarh, had approached
the Shariat court seeking reunion with his 42-year-old wife
Farah, who had been living with his parents for last 15 years.
Shafiqullah had claimed that two years after his
wedding, he was separated from Farah by his in-laws who
forcibly took his signatures on a `talaqnama`.
The Shariat court, which heard both husband and wife,
held that "a talaq given under pressure is not valid and the
couple can be united again".
The couple had contended that their son had turned 16
and wanted his parents be reunited.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday